Amazon 728 X 90

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Fishing Rancho Seco Reservoir in Sacramento

My dad and I fished Rancho Seco reservoir in Sacramento this past Sunday and I thought I would share some photos and information. My dad caught most of the fish. He had the hot fly. The crappie he caught is the biggest i have ever seen but I heard about a 2lb+ bluegill caught here as well.

There was a fishing derby here this weekend and one in the past. They have been planting lots of trout including fish 2 lbs up to 6 according to the Fish Sniffer report on Feb 16th. They actually dumped some trout on Sunday. We suspect two of the trout we caught were from the truck that dumped while we were fishing. The trout delivery caused frenzy. The doc was underwater due to so many fishermen fishing off of it. Four Sheriff's showed up just to make sure things remained peaceful. I actually saw one of them casting a line out to try his luck. I wonder if he had his fishing license.

Fishing was slow overall. We had to work at it pretty hard but did better then most of the other 200 people fishing the lake. The biggest trout was (17" 2.22 lbs) using T-14 line at about 10-15 ft deep late in the day. Best fly was dark green with black tail with Flashabou wrapped along with short shuck on body. All my fish were caught on this fly.

Someone caught a big bass there too. I snapped a photo from afar. I am pretty sure i heard them say he was over 8lbs. Nice catch. Judging by the size of her belly I presume she was feeding on fresh planted trout.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The picture with the kid with the 8 pound bass is my buddy and i was with him that day. The 1st day of the trout derby we fished for trout and we caught 1 a little over 5 pounds and placed 3rd. The 2nd day we fished for bass on beds. We caught tons of bass in the 3 and 4 pound range and that 8 pounder was are biggest fish.

Anonymous said...

That does NOT look anything like an 8 lb. bass, but more like 4 lbs. That said, I'd take the 4 pounder any time!