Amazon 728 X 90

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Reduce Outrageous Monthly Satellite TV Expense


When can I get rid of my outrageous Satellite TV bill? TV is free, so why are we paying so much?

I am currently paying over $110.00 per month for DIRECTV.  This includes 4 DVR’s,  HD content without any movie channels like HBO.  As a result of economic conditions I am continually looking for ways to reduce expenses.  This has prompted me to keep an eye on current and upcoming technologies that will allow me to reduce expenses.  I am looking for a solution that will allow me to keep most of the features and capabilities as my DIRECTV service offers.  I can’t live without my DVR.  The DVR is the best invention since sliced bread.

It seems like people have forgotten that TV is free.  With an inexpensive off air antenna you can receive local channels in HD which I have found recently includes many more channels than you might expect.  All your prime-time favorites like CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC and many more are available for free.  You can even see a Guide that will tell you what is playing on each channel.  What is missing is the ability to record, pause and rewind and best of all subscribe to a season pass.

Option #1:

The closest option for replacing DIRECTV and keeping the features I love is “TiVo” using the free Off Air TV signal (supported on TiVo Premiere & Premiere XL but not Premiere XL4).  Switching has some upfront costs especially when replacing 4 DVR’s.

To go the TiVo route here is the low down on costs.

Costs for 4 TiVo Premiere receivers with multi-service discount:

DVR's
Monthly
Total Monthly
1st year
$149.00ea
$12.99
$101.63
2nd year+

$9.95
$39.80

Costs for 4 TiVo Premiere XL receivers with multi-service discount:

DVR's
Monthly
Total Monthly
1st year
$249.00ea
$12.99
$134.96
2nd year+

$9.95
$39.80

What you will be missing:

Unless you pay for Cable in addition to the fees mentioned above, then say good bye to Discovery Channel, Nickelodeon, DIY network, ESPN etc.  The grass isn't always greener on the other side.   I am hesitant to switch although this option is looking increasingly attractive.

Option #2:

What about all the other streaming options where you use your internet connection along with a subscription service to watch TV and movies on demand?

Apple TV and PS3/Netflix users are the only ones that offer HD 1080p content.  Read the fine print.  If they say they offer HD content you are most likely only getting 720p.

There is also Amazon Instant Video, hulu, and Netflix.  Did I miss any?  Here is a good comparison post I came across.  How they stack up.

Show stoppers:

No access to popular prime-time TV shows.
I would need 4 devices, one for each TV.
No DVR for recording live TV and sports from off air signals.

More info coming soon….

1 comment:

hotmail login said...

Interesting post! This is really helpful for me. I like it! Thanks for sharing.